Musical Background & Styles
Suzanne Teng has extensively studied classical, ethnic, new age, and modern music, having attained a masters degree in music from the Boston University School of the Arts. She specialises in the flute, and after many years exploring every realm imaginable for this instrument, has truly mastered it. On her albums and live, Suzanne plays C flute, pan flute, alto flute, contrabass flute, piccolo flute. Among the other instruments she plays are the Bansuri, Suling, pennywhistle, Dizi, percussion and voice. Suzanne is especially well versed in ethnic world music, and her wide variety of influences can be heard on her albums.
Awards & Accomplishments
- Candidacy for a 2005 Grammy for Best New Age album.
- Winner 2006 International Acoustic Music Awards (Instrumental Division)
- Winner 2005/2001 Independent Music Awards (Best New Age Artist)
- Finalist 2005 Independent Music Awards (Best World Music Artist)
- Music Connection Magazine’s HOT 100 several years in a row
- Nomination 2006 Just Plain Folks Awards (Best Asian Song)
- Just Plain Folks Awards (Best Instrumental Album)
- Nominations New Age Voice Magazine’s (Best Acoustic Instrumental & Best Contemporary World Music Album)
- Top 10 UK Top Albums in New Age Chart
- Billboard Magazine Critic’s Choice Award - " Highly recommended…impressive solo debut." (Mystic Journey)
Suzanne has contributed to many musical projects as a flutist. and instrumentalist She has contributed music for films including - Green Dragon, The Grey Zone, Ice Bound, Angel's Don't Sleep Here and Reversal. On TV Suzanne's music can be heard on the theme song for Law & Order, Murder She Wrote, & Survivor 2. She has also contributed to many other artists albums, including Marta Sanchez, Prince Diabate, Divya Prabha, Levi Chen and Richard Page to name a few. Suzanne's music can also be heard on many compilation albums, children's CDs, and TV commercials.
Suzanne Teng has performed solo and with her band Mystic Journey at many locations around the world. Among these, one notable performance was for the Dalai Lama at his World Festival of Sacred Music. Other performances include Topanga Days Festival, Los Angeles Earth Day Festival, International Women's Day Awards and the Environmental Media Awards. Suzanne regularly travels to Bali, China and other parts of Asia for live performances and to conduct her musical workshops too.
In the Media
Suzanne has featured in many magazines and newspapers, all around the world, including Bali Times, Flutist Quarterly, Topanga, Wholer Life Times, Billboard Magazine, Chinese Times. On TV she has appeared on the final episode of Survivor 2, with a full performance by Suzanne Teng and her band Mystic Journey. Suzanne has also been interviewed many times on radio including - New Age Voice.com, Echoes Radio, Public Radio International, KKCR, and WWSP 90FM.